We truly wanted to change the approach to how architecture was taught in the Czech Republic. With that in mind, starting a new school seemed to be the ideal option, so that´s how ARCHIP was born. Nowadays, after seven years of existence, ARCHIP is still the only college of architecture in Central Europe which offers a complete 3-year Bachelor's and 2-year Master's programme in English. Today, ARCHIP is a second home to students of more than 30 nationalities, forming a truly international environment in the very heart of Europe.”
ARCHIP is a progressive new school of architecture, a hybrid of global and local scales, of conceptual and technical training, and a philosophical space combining the best of the European and American tradition of architecture education. We offer following programmes:
- Undergraduate programme (Architecture – Bc degree – 3 years)
- Graduate programme (Architecture and Urbanism – MA degree – 2 years)
- Global Architecture + Design, one of the CIEE College Study Abroad Programmes (1 semester)
For details of the programmes, please see the relevant sections of our website.
The organisation of the Architectural Design (AD) studio at ARCHIP follows the principles of the ‘Vertical studio’ model. The Vertical studio is organised by combining students of different years into a single studio. Within the Vertical studio, all years cooperate on a single site and program, yet their scale, scope and aims are different.
- Three independent studios for the undergraduate students and one for the graduate students running in parallel
- Between 15–18 students in each studio, each with a similar number of first, second, and third year students
- Project's site and program is the same for all studios, the specific design approaches and methodology within each studio however varies
- Each studio has a pair of leaders, professional architects with their own practice
- Students switch studios after each semester to gain exposure to the full range of practices and design thinking unique to each studio
- Third year students are allowed to select a studio of their choice
Please visit the Studios and Projects section to read about the philosophy and focus of our studios, and about our studio leaders.
At ARCHIP, the faculty and the school management strives to create a highly stimulating learning environment for our students. We greatly value dialogue – both as an integral part of the process of architecture and design, and a method of teaching and learning.